Greetings from Northwestern University’s Global Engagement Studies Institute (GESI)!
The GESI study abroad program immerses students in experiential learning for 8 or 10 weeks. It develops global leaders while contributing to the sustainable development of communities where students work and learn. Sites are run by GESI’s on-the-ground partners and offer students the opportunity to address issues in areas such as health, education/youth, environmental sustainability, women’s empowerment, social enterprise development, microfinance, and more.
If you are looking for a program where you learn by doing and are ready to challenge yourself in the pursuit of global social change, GESI is for you.
Here are the GESI basics:
What: GESI participants design and implement a community development project with their host community and a small, interdisciplinary team of talented students from across the country.
Who: Any undergraduate or recent graduate seeking hands-on field experience with comprehensive academic preparation.
Where: Bolivia, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Nicaragua, or Uganda.
When: Summer (June 10 – August 17, 2017) or Fall (September 11 – December 9, 2017)
Why: So many reasons!
- Meaningful cultural immersionthrough homestays
- Northwestern course credits (the equivalent of up to 6 semester hours in summer or 12 semester hours in the fall)
- On-the-ground professionalexperience
- An opportunity to help spark change by working with and empowering community members on the ground
- Lifelong friendshipswith passionate students from around the country, and with development partners around the world
How: Apply online by February 10 for the fall term or March 1 for summer.
Global Engagement Studies Institute (GESI)
Buffett Institute for Global Studies
601 University Place, Suite 8
Evanston, IL 60208
Visit us on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/gesi-fb